School of Education alumnus David Nagler '89 returned to Southern California as Pastor and CEO of Center City Lutheran Mission.
At CCLM, David works with and facilitates many service based projects, including:
• Providing free community meals
• Overseeing the H Street Clinic
• Running a food pantry
• Operating the only men’s shelter in the area from November through April
• Offering free community classes including sewing and ESL classes
• Running an after-school program
Harking back to his U of R days as a resident director in Anderson, David told a few stories he said were extremely helpful in learning how to do social justice work while living and working in a diverse and respectful community.
Living out this spirit of understanding and helping the community he finds himself in, he shared that “no one dreams of becoming an addict or being HIV positive, but somehow they got there. But it doesn’t define them. The job of the mission is to help them get back on track.”
There is far more going on at CCLM and they always appreciate help! If you would like to learn more about their work or to get involved in volunteering, visit their website at http://www.cclm.org/